Galaxy Note 7 debacle would cost Samsung nearly $3B over next two quarters

Galaxy Note 7 debacle would cost Samsung nearly $3B over next two quarters

In a statement released on Friday, Samsung Electronics said that its operating profit over the next two quarters will likely take a hit of nearly $3 billion, due to the discontinuation of the company's ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 smartphone.

Galaxy Note 7 was Samsung's latest flagship Note handset which was launched by the company in August, to pose a substantial challenge to the Apple iPhone at the high-end smartphone market. However, the Note 7 was discontinued by Samsung earlier this week, because of persistent battery-explosion issues.

Against the backdrop of the discontinuation of the Galaxy Note 7 handset, Samsung has projected that the total losses to the company because of the explosive-battery issues reported with the Note 7 will likely be $5.3 billion. Earlier, on Wednesday, Samsung had said that that its third-quarter profit will likely be hit by $2.3 billion.

In its Friday statement, Samsung said that the blow to the company's profit in the October-December 2016 quarter will probably be in the mid-2 trillion, and approximately 1 trillion won ($900 million) for the January-March 2017 quarter.

Meanwhile, about the potential impact of the failure of Galaxy Note 7 on the Samsung brand, LS Asset Management's Fund Manager Kim Sung-soo, said: "The end of the premium model will damage Samsung's brand, and hurt demand for its other models. It is difficult to measure such impact."


Share

Contact

Whether you want to ask us a question, would like to solve a problem, or just give us a suggestion, you’ll find many ways to contact us right here.

Email: editor@norcal.news

Phone: (916) 225-9835

Fax: (916) 225-9845

Newsletters

Subscribe and get the latest updates, news and more...